Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. See more Mercy Corps Nigeria Job vacancies Here >>
Mercy Corps Nigeria recruitment is to fill the position below:
Job Title: Field Operations Manager
Requisition number: FIELD003902
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Employment Type: Full-time
Position Status: Full-time, Regular.
Reports Directly to: Operations Director
Job category: Operations, Procurement, Logistics
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on humanitarian assistance, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the ongoing insurgency in Northeast Nigeria causing the displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps started its humanitarian response in 2014 to address the rising humanitarian needs.
- As the crisis has persisted, Mercy Corps’ strategy has also expanded to address the root causes of the conflict and seek to build the long-term resilience of communities with integrated programs focusing on governance, the recovery of markets and livelihoods, social cohesion and social protection, youth empowerment, and local conflict management.
Also Apply For First Bank of Nigeria Limited Job Recruitment (15 Position)
General Position Summary
- The Field Operations Manager provides general management and leadership for all program support functions at the field level including procurement, logistics, asset, warehousing, admin, property management and information technology.
- The Field Operations Manager proactively and informatively communicates and coordinates the program support functions with Mercy Corps staff in the state office in Maiduguri (Borno State) and other field locations (Damaturu) in Yobe state and Abuja country office (as and when required).
- The Field Operations Manager is a key person within the country, who ensures the resources are planned and utilized towards effective program support.
- The Field Operations Manager plays a key role in the field operations management of the country program under the guidance of the Operations Director.
- As a member of the senior management team at the field level, the Field Operations Manager shares the overall responsibility for the direction and coordination of the Mercy Corps country operation activities under the direct supervision of the Operations Director.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Manage reliable and cost-effective operations and effective implementation of the strategies of Mercy Corps towards the right direction, including supervision of facilities & office management, information technology, procurement, asset management, fleet management and warehouse.
- Establish systems to ensure a smooth flow of goods into the country through different channels.
- Identify different vendor categories in order to respond to the program’s needs.
- Act as a focal point for all internal and external coordination
- Provide overall operational support to programs and facilitate coordination, supervision and monitoring of support activities designed to assist in fulfilling program objectives.
- Establish and maintain a pipeline of supplies, overseeing the logistical aspects of the operation; overseeing all commodity storage and movements as needed.
- Oversee facility management, including housing, office leases and warehouses; ensure that security standards are maintained at all premises.
- Work closely with program management to facilitate program planning and upcoming procurement resources needs.
- Work closely with program and finance teams to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with MC and donor regulations.
- Responsible for the management of all project procurement functions compliance and control as described in Mercy Corps FP3.
- Supports the program team in the timely provision of operations support at a higher level of standards.
- Ensures compliance requirements of Mercy Corps and rules and regulations specified by the donors and sometimes host governments.
- Provides management information for decision-making as required.
- Support developing budgets for operations activities of country programs as an integral part of program proposal development and country-level budgeting.
- Represents Mercy Corps as required in coordination with country management. As a management team member, the Field Operations Manager will have certain representation at the discretion of the Operations Director. The level of representation may vary depending on the country context (i.e., Local Logistics Cluster, NGO Working Groups, etc.)
Responsibilities of Field Operations Manager:
- As a member of the management team, the Field Operations Manager is responsible for but not limited to key responsibilities of management oversight, development and implementation of policies and procedures and resource management.
Oversight, direction, and advice on all aspects of Mercy Corps operations management, aiming at the achievement of the following results:
- Successful contribution to the implementation of country operations strategies and establishment of management guidelines.
- Successful implementation of operational strategies and direct establishment of management achievements with operations.
- Maintain regular control of operations budget and identify any exceptions or possible implications of under / overspending in a timely manner.
- Promote continuous organizational learning culture with the empowerment of individuals and teams with the identification of learning needs. Create learning opportunities and ensure access to available learning resources.
Implementation of Policies and Procedures:
Implementation of appropriate operations policies and procedures that comply with Mercy Corps policies and procedures and with donor rules and regulations focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of operations with Mercy Corps Global Procurement and Logistics policies, procedures, and processes.
- Provide technical and managerial leadership in the implementation of Procurement and Logistics in the Northeast program.
- Ensure ongoing full compliance with Mercy Corps finance policies and procedures and others (i.e. Program Management Manual, National Staff Handbook and etc.).
- Provide expert advice on Mercy Corps policies regarding resource management, tools, etc.
Also Apply For 9mobile Nigeria Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
Effective and efficient resources management in administration, procurement, logistics and IT on the achievement of the following results:
- Ensure effective management of administrative / logistics resources and reporting in a systematic, transparent and efficient manner to country management.
- Responsible for the provision of high-quality and timely procurement and other program support.
- Exercising management over procurement processes and logistics ensuring compliance with Mercy Corps procurement policies and procedures as well donor rules and regulations.
- Oversee provision of transport and travel support (international and domestic).
- Oversight on maintenance of proper custody of Mercy Corps assets, warehouse inventory and general inventory.
- Develop the capacity of the team, deepen understanding of their roles and assist with career development.
- Assist team members with information, tools and resources to improve performance & reach objectives.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations, and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular one on ones and performance reviews.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Hire, orient and lead team members as necessary.
- Work with all Mercy Corps staff to ensure smooth introduction and adoption of operational systems.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient, and relevant to the communities they serve we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Northeast Operations (Procurement, Logistics and Facilities & Office Management) staff
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS Degree in a relevant field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years of management experience in a corporate or an INGO sector, including experience in operational support.
- Sound knowledge of administrative and logistics procedures is highly desired.
- Proven supervisory ability and/or technical skills combined with leadership.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues in a diversified multi-cultural and multi-ethnic working environment.
- Skills in managing, organizing, planning, and implementing assigned tasks under pressure of frequent and tight schedules.
- Strong ability to apply good judgment and decision-making skills in difficult and complex working environments.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills in handling management and coordination issues at the country program level.
- Effective verbal and written communication, organizational, prioritization and Microsoft Office applications.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment.
- The successful Field Operations Manager will be good at problem-solving and have the ability to work out methods to deliver successful programs while demonstrating excellent stewardship of donor funds and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor regulations.
- They will maintain strong cooperative relationships with other departments and interact effectively with international and national personnel both in a managerial as well as training capacity while demonstrating the ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and process information in support of changing program activities.
- They will be able to live and work closely with a diverse team of individuals in a highly intense and fluid work and security environment and be willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps deep field offices and project sites.
- The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria and may require travel to other field sites 40%. Housing will be in established guesthouses.
- Security in the field locations requires additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously. Access to good medical services in the field is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity, and water is available but might be erratic.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
- Fostering a diverse and open workplace is an important part of Mercy Corps’ vision. Mercy Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer regardless of background. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Application Closing Date
28th July, 2023.
Also Apply For Opay Nigeria Job Recruitment (3 Positions)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
- Applicants should have their CVs and Cover Letters in one document addressing the position requirements.
- Female candidates who are qualified are strongly encouraged to apply.
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Telegram using the buttons below. Thank you