Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries. See more Save the Children Nigeria Job vacancies Here >>
Job Title: Media and Communications Assistant
Job Identification: 2473
Job Schedule: Full time
Team / Programme: Humanitarian
Job Category: Communications and Media
Post Type: National
- Level 3: The role holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. 7 days in one month or more or overnight) because they work in country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
- The Media and Communications Assistant will collect contents (success stories, case studies, impact studies, best practices etc) and package them appropriately for internal and external dissemination, through appropriate channels.
- S/he will ensure appropriate coverage, documentation and representation of Save the Children’s project outcomes and impacts in Borno, Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support strategic communications and media activities to increase engagement, profile and voice for SCI’s programs in the FO/AO for its target audiences, internally and externally; nationally and internationally. including but not limited to donors, partners, WCA Regional Office, SC members and the SC Center
- Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Field/Area Office
- Amplify the voices of children through a high quality and consistent content gathering, packaging and dissemination, internally and externally
- Build engagement and regularly contribute contents for SCI social media (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube), Workplace, The Jebb Times, and the SCI Nigeria Website to enhance voice, visibility, and awareness and relevance
- Produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both emergency situation and Save the Children’s response and programmes in Borno State.
- Support the production of community-facing communications materials to support programmes.
- Work with the CO Media and Communications team through the Area Coordinator on the production of compelling photo stories, case studies and audio-visual materials from the field to highlight Save the Children`s work, including the commissioning of photography and film when required and in line with SCI policies
- Support and Graphically produce all necessary communications materials for all programs in the Field Office
- Perform other duties as s/he may be assigned by the Line Manager.
Qualifications and Experience
- Graduated with Degree in Communication, Media, Journalism, Literature or related field of studies from a recognized higher educational institution; with a minimum of 2/two years of professional experience in INGOs
- Evidence of excellent English verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, journalists and the ‘general public’.
- Ability to strategically target a wide-range of audiences is essential.
- Excellent relationship building skills in order to work across all departments;
- The ability to support the communications team in high-pressure situations, with changing deadlines and priorities;
- Excellent understanding of communication and information needs, media and campaigning activities, as well donor and member requirements and standards;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy;
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support;
- Ability to fact check ands draft materials;
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment and interest in Save the Children’s mission, vision and values. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
- Knowledge of local language is a plus.
Skills and Behaviours (Our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically on a global scale.
- Actively listens to different perspectives and experiences of Project participants and Stakeholders
- Actively participates in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establishes and maintains clear communication and dialogue with disaster and conflict affected people and other stakeholders
- Establishes clear objectives with partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
- Commitment to Save the Children Values
- Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Ensure that project/programme goals and activities uphold the Media and communications programming.
- Prioritize key national and international humanitarian news, frameworks, codes and commitments
- Integrates beneficiary feedback as success stories, case studies or impact stories.
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Demonstrates approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Demonstrates self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses
- Makes positive statements about work
- Effectively influences others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met.
- Experience building capacity and trainings especially on gender related issues.
- Prior work experience in communities across Nigeria.
- Desired Knowledge to know and learn policies, functions, structures and decision-making processes with regards to Media and Communications.
- Team player with collaborative skills
- Local language skills (Ability to communicate in Hausa and Kanuri will be an advantage)
Application Closing Date
7th August, 2023 at 10:47 AM.
How To Apply:
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
If you think this job post can be helpful to someone else, please share it on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, LinkedIn or Telegram using the buttons below. Thank you